Friday, April 12, 2013

Blog Assignment # 3




In my memo I was working with crowded computer lab scenario. I have chosen this because I thought it would be easy to research about computer systems as I have a good knowledge about system configuration and software. The solution was easy which was to buy new systems and lower the number of workstation. I also thought of arranging different types of system depending on users. When I got the scenario first I started to search for different workstation for educational institution. Then I created a custom hardware configuration for workstation and calculated the estimated cost. Then I calculated other costs to see if it was below the dedicated fund. After all the research I started to write down the memo in profession manner. In my school life I have written many formal documents including user manual. This was not that different from the user manual I wrote in my high school. Here I had to write more formally than I did in the user manual which also had graphic illustration. I have pasted a part of my memo in the following paragraph.       

The retail price of regular workstation including monitors is $775.49 each. So for 50 workstations the total cost will be $38774.50. The retail price of performance workstation is$ 989.98 including monitors. So the total cost will be $ 19799.60. Dell is offering free shipping on computers so there is no shipping charge. School license for Microsoft Office 2013 will cost $ 50 for each workstation costing total of $ 3500.00. I am also planning to include Adobe Creative Suite 6 for designing purpose. This will only be available for performance workstations. Each will cost around $ 349.00. For 20 workstations it will cost $6980.00. The technician may take 3.5 h to setup each system and the average cost is $20/h. So the cost to setup the workstations may be near to $4900.00. Taking all the costs into consideration the grand total becomes $73954.10. The remaining fund can be used to buy new furniture and improve the lighting of the lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment